Image Map

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Bad idea?

Here is a simple truth about me, I mess up A LOT. I do things and then later I think wow, that was way more complicated than it should have been. Also, I always think things will be easier than they really are. In my head I know what to do and how to do it, somehow the execution of those plans just turn a out a little harder. Just ask my husband and all of the ridiculous(ly awesome) projects I have had him do for me. I just thought I would let you know now, because if you keep reading this blog eventually it will be filled with more mishaps than successes! Sort of, everything I do always turns out fine one way or the other. It just may not look like the pictures I've seen on Pinterest. But hey, who wants perfect?

Today we had a fun busy day! We went to a play group where we made wind chimes! I haven't finished mine yet, I am going to work on it after this. And then I took the kids over to Auntie Liz and Uncle Parker's house. Nolan and Parker are best buddies. I was taking this dog I've been looking after to meet his hopefully forever new owner. And I thought it would be best to leave the kids with Liz in case the guy turned out to be crazy. Parker came with me, to provide manly protection. Anyways after all that was said and done the kids were so tired! They both fell asleep on the way home. I had some time to read a book all by myself (a rare treat) and when they woke up I was facing the terrible monster that my sweet little baby boy turns into when he hasn't taken a long enough nap. (Just kidding, even grumpy Nolan is still pretty darn awesome) it was dinner time and I was thinking, "what the heck am I going to do about dinner?!" Idea! Deviled egg pasta salad! (It's amazing, check Pinterest) I was just talking about it with Liz even. It was meant to be.

Around the same time I had a GREAT idea... The kids are tired and grumpy so I'll get them involved with dinner. I've been wanting to find a better way to let them help me in the kitchen. They can help me peel eggs!

That was a great idea right?

Well, as it turns out it was possible that it was a terrible idea. I got out the hard boiled eggs we still had left from Easter. I got out two bowls each, one for shells and one for peeled egg. In my mind I knew that they would probably be ugly, but since I was going to chop them up who cares?!

That was my fatal mistake. Setting loose your 4 and 2 year old on a pile of eggs would generally be no big deal. Just not if you're also planning to eat those eggs relatively soon. These eggs, oh goodness these eggs were a hot mess. Kaydence got bored fairly quickly when she discovered that it was not as easy and cracking an uncooked egg. Nolan was all about it though. He cracked those bad boys and pulled apart those eggs with gusto. There were chunks of eggs everywhere! And mostly with the shell on. By this point it i realized was too late to fix the problem, he was having fun! Unfortunately, I then had to go through the egg chunks and take the peel off. It took forever, and since there were no more eggs to demolish Nolan went back to being grumpy. Dinner eventually got finished, and it was as delicious as I remember. It would have been more delicious if it hadn't been such a pain to make, but now you know

Never let your pre-school aged children peel eggs you intend to eat unless you are prepared for the mess. Or you could just peel your own eggs and let them have their fun.



3 comments:

  1. I think you just invented the soon to be common cliche "pintrest perfect" it's like "picture perfect" only more contemporary!

    ReplyDelete