Image Map

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Breaking the TV habit

The past couple of weeks we've really gotten bad about our amount of TV time. During normal circumstances we spend most of our time playing together, reading books, or exploring some fun sensory thing. Or we do unit studies. Recently I've been stressed. Really really stressed, with a whole bunch of anxiety mixed in there. The government shutdown isn't the worst thing that's happened to us, and it's not the hardest thing we've done so far either, but it still sucks. Worrying about if Sam's paycheck will come on time, and if it doesn't come how will we pay our bill? Or how will we feed our family? Luckily we've actually been managing well with lots of prayers, and hopefully it's almost over. But when the shut down first started I was just so overwhelmed with un-answered questions and worry. The kids were tired from our week in McAllen, and then our week with my mom here and my grandma visiting. So I let them watch a lot of TV. That's basically we did last week. Kaydence didn't want to read, she didn't want to play, she didn't want to color ect. And I didn't feel like doing anything besides sitting in a pool of worry. All things considered that was the worst thing I could have done. I was SO bored. Bored and worried are just a terrible combination all around.

I keep telling myself that the kids really seemed like they needed that break. And that letting them watch TV is not the end of the world. This week I've pulled it together (not that I was ever terribly un-together) and decided to get back to normal. It's turned out harder than I anticipated. We've had bursts of really good play time. We've read books together and Kaydence has been excited for her reading lessons again. But there is still lots of times when I need to get something done and they ask to watch a show, but then they don't want to stop watching. We spent most of yesterday afternoon outside, but today it's raining. I think I need to re-organize my play room. There is no real rhyme or reason to where the toys are. I'd like to really organize it so their toys are easy to find and easy to put away. And I really need some help thinking of good ways to limit TV time. I don't want it to feel like a punishment. It's not their fault that I let them watch so much TV last week. But now I need to find a better way to fix it. Any suggestions? I've been looking for ideas on pinterest. But if anyone reading this has tried something that really worked for them I want to hear about it!

The other thing that I have been busy with.. I am really excited about this one. I've been thinking about it for a while, and to keep my mind busy decided to go for it. I am starting my own handmade perfume business. I will be making oil perfumes and selling them on Etsy.com. Depending on how things go I'd like to maybe get a booth at a farmers market or something next year. Oil perfume contains no alcohol or chemicals. It is mixture of a carrier oil and essential oils. The result is a perfume that will last longer than your typical spray on perfume. Plus, it's all natural. I've been doing a lot of research. How much I should sell each bottle for, finding bottles and boxes. I've got all my ducks in a row (well, mostly. I still need to come up with a company name). Now I'm just waiting for the government to re-open and pay us so I can start buying the things I will need to make my perfumes. I'm going to be looking for perfume testers and giving out tons and tons of samples soon. I think it's going to be great. I'll have a facebook page for my company and other such things, so probably this will be the only perfume related blurb on this blog. I'm hoping to start mixing perfumes ASAP and to have samples available sometime next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment