Image Map

Thursday, October 17, 2013

My poor Kaydence just had a heck of a rough day today.

Yesterday a friend called and asked if I could help her friend out babysitting today. So we had a little boy around Nolans age over today. Kaydence started out very excited, but I was noticing her moods going up and down today. She was happy and playful and then very quiet and withdrawn. That is unusual for her. I kept trying to ask her what was bothering her, but I don't think she knew. A few times she asked me if I would come play with her, but I was needing to keep a close eye on the boys. Being boys they play rougher than girls. Reid was actually so sweet and polite. He was sharing and playing well, Nolan was the one who didn't want to share. Plus, since it was my first time watching him I just wanted to make sure things went smoothly. During nap time I promised her that when they boys were asleep I would come down and we could do her reading lesson and spend some time alone together. Nolan woke up pretty much as soon as I left the room though. Around the time Reid left I was reminding Kaydence that I was going to a Mommy's night in for the homeschool group. I asked her if she wanted to do her reading lesson and she said no. Usually I will talk her into it by reminding her of our reading reward, but I've been aware that she hasn't been quite herself lately so I haven't been pushing it. I've promised her a trip to the disney store when she is finished with her reading lessons. She will not get a reward like this for regular schooling, but I want her to be excited about learning and I think that reading is a huge accomplishment for someone so young. Anyways when it was time for me to go she just broke down sobbing. "I love you so much and we didn't get to cuddle at all today!" Then she wanted to know if Uncle Parker would come see her because she was sad. She asked several times if she could come with me and for me to please not leave her. So I left her snuggling with Daddy and on the way I started thinking maybe she wasn't just tired the past couple of weeks. Maybe she was picking up on all the stress from Sam and I. So I'm feeling kinda guilty. I mean, I think I handled the situation as well as I could have. If she has been picking up on all that though I just wish I had addressed it better with her. Does that make sense?

When I was driving home Sam called to ask if I was almost there and I could hear Kaydence sobbing in the back round. My brother had been over and they had a tea party together, but I think she just really felt like she needed me close to her tonight. I came inside and scooped her up and she held me tight and cried. She was saying "I love you so much and I missed you." and a few other things along those lines. By this point it was already much later than they usually stay up, but she wanted to read a story and she wanted me to hold her while we read. She usually prefers to sit next to me and hold my hand these days. I tucked her in bed with my blanket and held her hand while she fell asleep. Nolan was a happy camper and fell asleep pretty much as soon as his head hit the pillow.

I've promised Kaydence that I would take her on a date tomorrow night. We are going to go out for ice cream. I may take her into Target and let her look at the "grown up" clothes with me. I think my little love is just in need of some good quality Mommy Kaydence time. I promised her that we would play games and have a wonderful day tomorrow (although, I think today was pretty fun before all the crying) and she said, "Can we just snuggle for a while?"

I don't know how I didn't pick up on all of her cues that she was feeling like she needed a little extra love until the melt down. I hope that now that I'm aware I can give her the extra attention she's feeling like she needs right now. We spend a lot of time together playing, learning, and snuggling already... sometimes you just need a little extra though.

No comments:

Post a Comment