Image Map

Thursday, June 27, 2013

Dinosaur Eggs

An update on how our Paleo transformation is going so far this week:

It's been seriously incredible. Kaydence and Nolan are both eating WAY more than they ever have before (like bottom-less pits) but also the requests for junk food have all but stopped. Even better they're finally drinking plain old water. I have always watered down their juice so it was mostly water and a little juice, but the other day Nolan had a (TMI) really nasty poop that consisted mostly of the juice he was guzzling all day. So I said Ok, no juice tomorrow. He asked for juice a few times and then that was it. That was yesterday, today he asked for water. For dinner tonight we had sausages and chicken cut up and cooked in my skillet. I added some bell peppers and an onion and we ate them wrapped up in lettuce sort of like a fajita. We had cantaloupe to go with it. At first the kiddos mostly ate the meat, but then towards the end of dinner Nolan started taking huge bites out of his plain old lettuce. No dressing or anything. I showed Sam and Kaydence looked too and decided that she wanted a few bites of lettuce as well. I feel great, better than I have in a while and it's only been a few days. Sam isn't loving it so much haha. He is not convinced about the whole "paleo thing" in his words. But he's trying!

We also made banana ice cream, which I've made (And loved) before. Today seemed like a good day to re-introduce the kids to it. They are currently on a banana kick. If you haven't made banana ice cream before you should try it! Slice and freeze a few bananas. We used 3 1/2. One for each kiddo to slice by themselves and the 1/2 because it was left over from lunch. Freeze them and then pop them into the blender. It's easier if you have a food processor, but I don't have one. I had to fiddle around with the settings for a while. Turns out that stir is the best option. It was creamy and oh so yummy. You can add strawberry, mangos, nut butter, or chocolate chips to it. I like mine plain though.

The girlies cutting their bananas. Nolan was cutting too, but he managed to be blurry in every picture I took during the ice cream party today. They were both focusing on cutting.


Doesn't that look amazing? Creamy and delicious! And you don't have to feel guilty about eating it hah!




We also made dinosaur eggs today. I made a batch before that were kind of hard, but I found a new recipe here. Basically it's just baking soda, water, and food coloring. In our case glitter too. I don't know if you're aware, but glitter makes pretty much anything more awesome. Unfortunately I didn't measure out how much I used of either. Add the water very gradually, you don't want it to be liquid. Just mushy and damp. Like so

The recipe also calls for black food coloring, which I don't have. I thought about adding all of the colors I do have, but I decided just to let the girls pick one each. They chose green and blue. 


Make a little pancake in your hand, and pop the dinosaurs inside. I used little ones I got from walgreens, I think you can find them at the dollar store too. Then put some more on top and mold it into an egg-ish shape. Ours looked mostly like blobs. I popped them in the oven for a while on the lowest temperature setting just until they dried out a bit. While they were in the oven we read our cool new National Geographic Kids First Big Book of Dinosaurs. It was really fun, there is a question on each page like, "Would you rather be a meat eater or a plant eater?" Ashley said she wanted to be a meat eater because she likes meat. Kaydence gave me a "I would be a princess." So I said, "Well, what if you were a dinosaur?" and she said, "I would be a dinosaur princess. T-Rex, and I would eat the other princesses."

When they got bored with the book I filled up three spray bottles with vinegar and took them outside with the eggs. They were warm still so I picked them up and gave them each one. Playing with baking soda and vinegar is one of our favorite things to do. We also love spray bottles. It was a huge hit.


Our puppy Lady was very curious to see what was happening. She tried to eat the bubbles a few times, but she figured out they were nasty pretty quickly.


Nolan also tried several times to eat his. Apparently he doesn't mind the horrible taste of baking soda and vinegar. 



No comments:

Post a Comment