Image Map

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Fairy tale week part 1

Am I the only homeschooling Mom who is 90% sure that I'm not doing enough pretty much all day every day? We do a lot of things every day, but I still am wondering if what I do is enough. Hopefully I'm not the only one who is worried about that.

This week was busy busy busy. We did fairy tales this week. We spent our mornings at the pool all week. Then we packed lunch, nap, and learning into the afternoon. I'm thinking maybe next week we'll spend a little less time at the pool in the mornings. I think I'm going to break this up into two posts, because otherwise you would basically be reading a novel posing as a blog post.

Ashley's mom (Hi Megan!) checked us out a big book from the library with fairy tales. I have a few fairy tale books here, but this was nice because it was different.

On Monday I told them we were going to be reading fairy tales all week. So to start out we made fairy wands. Basically I printed a star and had them color it. Then we went a little crazy with glue and glitter.(that's what makes the magic) I taped them to drinking straws, because that's what I had. And we tied some ribbon to it.


Nolan got glitter and glue everywhere. 

When we finished I turned my Disney station on Pandora and the girls danced around for a while. Then they started playing fairies. Ashley was a water fairy, she had rainbow sparkling wings. Kaydence was a forest fairy, and her wings were hot pink. (obviously) I intended to have them sit down and help me write a story about their fairy adventures, but honestly they were having so much fun I just let them be. I didn't see them for most of the morning. While I was preparing them lunch they climbed into their fairy home for a nap.


That afternoon we took a break for Kaydence's reading lesson (I am using Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons) and Ashley is crazy for counting so I brought out the dominos and we had a counting game with them.

We also spent some time cutting paper. They cute little pieces out and decided they were making "fairy fashions"

Nolan also wanted to cut, I let him try. He did not want me to help him or show him how to do it. I let him explore until he got bored. 

TUESDAY we did Jack and the Beanstalk. We read the story and came to the table to make our own beanstalks. We glued the magic beans to the bottom of the page. I helped them draw a beanstalk and they colored it in. Then I had them make the leaves for the beanstalk with their thumb prints! And we added glitter. (magic) I also let them watch Mickey and the Beanstalk. They got bored and went upstairs to play.



Plus we used my awesome chalkboard wall to make it a fairy tale theme. 

Rapulzles tower! We used watercolors to paint the back round. While they were doing that I cut a sponge up into rectangles. Then we used it to paint the bricks for Rapunzles tower. Neither of the girls were very happy that Flynn Ryder was not in the story. Ashley drew him in at the bottom of her page with Rapunzle. 


Check back tomorrow for Little Red Riding Hood and Snow White, which were two very fun days!

No comments:

Post a Comment