Image Map

Saturday, June 15, 2013

easiest ever DIY laundry detergent




Our first week with Ashley was kind of crazy! Crazy in a good way. I was sick for most of the week, but we still managed to have a pretty good time. I got REALLY behind on my chores though. So this morning I woke up with every intention of getting to work, instead I hung out with my friend (way better than cleaning) and went grocery shopping. Which I kind of count as a chore. And we relaxed and watched movies since Kaydence has my stomach ache now. I sort of fell asleep with Nolan trying to get him to nap and when I woke up Kaydence asked if I was finally ready to play yet. I felt kind of bad since she wasn't feeling well, but I also really wanted to clean my house. So I set her up with her dry erase numbers book and told her as soon as I was done I had a special project for us to do together. Laundry detergent is a special project, mostly because it's so easy. The kids can get involved and help me and I really need to get some laundry done. So here it is:

What you will need:




1-    3lb box of Baking Soda
1-    4lb box of Washing Soda
1 box of Borax (found on the laundry isle)
2 bars of Zote laundry soap (also on the laundry isle. It's always hard for me to find)

OPTIONAL:
1 box of oxiclean. I used this last time I made it, but I decided to leave it out this time to see if it made any difference. 
1 container of purex crystals, or something similar.  I like to use it because it adds a nice smell, but that's up to you. Today I bought downy unstoppables. I wanted to know if it would leave a longer lasting smell like the commercials say ;)

Now here is what you do.

Grab a large bucket or box you want to store this all in. I use a plastic 5 gallon bucket. I start with grating the soap. Use a cheese grater, it's so easy. Grate up all the soap. It will dissolve in any water temperature. I almost always wash on cold and I have never had any problems with the soap. Next add in the baking soda, washing soda, borax, purex crystals, and oxiclean. (if you used them) Now mix them all up. You can use a spoon or your hands, whatever strikes your fancy. And that's it! You only need about 2 TBS of this for each load of washing. I usually end up using more of it because I am used to using more, but it will get clean with as little as 2 TBS. I keep the bulk of mine in that bucket and keep a little bit in my laundry room. I use the a plastic Oxiclean box from the first time I made this, it has a little scoop in it so it's easy. You can also pour a bit of it into the purex bottle and use the lid to measure it. 





This cost me about $20 dollars. Here is the best part, besides being easy and cheap. It lasts for so long! I made my first batch of this recipe in November and I only just now ran out. And that's with using more than 2 TBS and occasionally having to wash laundry over again because I forgot about it and it got all smelly. It lasts for so long. 


UPDATE: The Downy unstoppables do leave a lovely smell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment