Image Map

Friday, June 14, 2013

DIY counting cards

As of Monday we have officially welcomed Ashely into our daytime summer routine! I've been trying to write this since Monday evening, but Nolan has learned to climb out of his crib so it's been a bit crazy.

Anyways, to start off our week we made counting cards.

I took a stack of index cards and wrote the numbers 0-10 on each of them with white oil pastel. I made two stacks so Kaydence and Ashley would both have a set 0-10

After that I called the girls to the table and I told them something was hidden on each card. I gave them some watercolors and told them to paint all of the cards all over. They loved painting the cards and they called out each number as they found it.
Then we took a break to let the cards dry. I did the dishes while the girls and Nolan played dress up.
 And finally once they were dry I pulled out a container of glass beads. The kind used to fill a vase. I put their cards into two stacks. They both drew one card and told me what number they had, then we counted out the right number of "diamonds." After we counted each pile we combined them and added them together. It was a big hit. We've played this game multiple times every day this week. Except today, I put it away so they wouldn't get bored with it. We'll get it out again next week! Super fun, super easy counting game :)

2 comments:

  1. I love her Cinderella dress ;) that looks vaguely familiar. . . and, cute idea! You're such a fun momma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would not believe the search I had to go on for that Cinderella dress! She was a girl on a mission and she wouldn't rest until she had the cinderella dress :)

    ReplyDelete